This Giving Tuesday, give a GIFT OF LANGUAGE!
Your donation to the Indigenous Language Institute (ILI) helps create a new generation of speakers of the Native Language. ILI trains over 1,000 individuals every year on immersion methods and other critical language skills. The impact of the training has a ripple effect, as the trained individuals use these approaches in classrooms, with families, and with their communities.
The new generation of speakers reclaiming one’s heritage language leads to deeper understanding of one’s identity, ancestry and culture. Communicating with our Elders while they are still with us opens up treasure chests of knowledge about family history, traditional practices, and tribal history. The knowledge we gain from these conversations is irreplaceable!
Click here to donate online today and give the gift of language.
UPCOMING ILI 2018 EVENTS
SAVE THE DATE 2018
click here to download Save the Date Flyer
1) March 19-21, 2018, Practicing Immersion: How Do We Do It? Workshop at Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, NM
2) April 9-11, 2018, Developing Cultural Relevant Language Guides, Activities and Materials Workshop at Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, NM
3) June 10-12, 2018, Practicing Immersion: How Do We Do It? Workshop at Tamaya Resort, Bernalillo, NM
4) July 9-11, 2018, Community Engagement Strategies Workshop at Mystic Lake Resort, Prior Lake, MN
5) August 6-8, 2018, Topic: TBA at Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, NM
6) September 3-5, 2018, Topic:TBA at Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, NM
7) October 22-24, 2018, 9th Annual ILI Symposium 2018, Topic:TBA at Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, NM and
8) October 25-26, 2018, Total Immersion Plus Workshop at Buffalo Thunder Resort, Santa Fe, NM
CONTRACT ILI TO PROVIDE THESE WORKSHOPS IN YOUR COMMUNITY
You can contract ILI to provide workshops in your community on many topics: Immersion Methodology; Curriculum Development, Lesson Planning and Assessment; Family and Community Engagement, Digital Storytelling, and many other topics. If you have a topic you are interested in or if you need more information contact ILI at (505) 820-0311 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Indigenous Language Institute provides vital language related services to Native communities so that their individual identities, traditional wisdom and values are passed on to future generations in their original languages.
ILI’s guiding philosophy is to “help create speakers” of endangered indigenous languages while we still have speakers left.
This work is URGENT. Collectively we must work diligently with haste within a ten-year window, careful not to duplicate efforts, to turn the tide of language decline so that indigenous languages become a vibrant component of everyday life in Indian communities.
What We Do
ILI Researches, Teaches and Shares information and tools to empower Native communities to make their languages SEEN and HEARD everywhere and by everyone.
ILI’s tools and training help people create their own Native language materials to develop textbooks, teaching aids, films, digital stories, as well as flyers, brochures, posters, toys, and signage.
Languagegeek© customized keyboard layouts and fonts enable any indigenous language to live on computers and the internet. Sending e-mails, building web-pages, and desktop publishing are all available for all indigenous languages.
ILI works with all tribes and nations to complement and enhance their existing language programs.